Roku devices offer many features, including streaming possibilities, and they serve as a good alternative to FireStick. Many people have been wondering how to set up ExpressVPN on their Roku devices.
Many streaming platforms on Roku have geo-restrictions and can only be accessed by people in certain regions like the United States. Hence, you won’t access the content if you are streaming outside the region.
The best way to bypass these restrictions is to install ExpressVPN on your Roku device and create a US account. This way, you will unblock channels and streaming apps like Hulu, Vudu, BBC iPlayer, Disney Plus, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and others that don’t show content in your region.
By design, Roku devices are not compatible with VPNs, which makes it difficult for Roku users to access content in some regions. However, a VPN can help you bypass these geo-restrictions and access your favorite content on any streaming provider.
With the rising trend of data theft and cybercrime, using a VPN for any online activity is important. ExpressVPN is one of the best VPN providers on the market. Once you install ExpressVPN on your Roku TV or device, you can stream safely.
ExpressVPN allows you to enjoy an immersive streaming experience by providing a network of more than 3,000 servers. It also gives you some cool privacy features. It helps you bypass geo-limitations across any streaming platform so that you can stream content directly from Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Disney Plus, and other streaming channels from your Roku device.
Not many users know how to install ExpressVPN on Roku. Setting up ExpressVPN on Roku isn’t as straightforward as installing ExpressVPN on FireStick. The reason is that Roku doesn’t have dedicated VPN support, and it doesn’t let users change their default DNS addresses.
So if you want to use ExpressVPN on Roku, you must establish the VPN connection on your Wi-Fi router or through a virtual router. If you want to enjoy the streaming capabilities of your Roku device, you will need a VPN.
In this guide, I will show you how to set up ExpressVPN on your Roku device. The installation methods shown here will work on all Roku devices, including Roku 3 and Express. However, ensure to have an active ExpressVPN subscription. Subscribe to ExpressVPN if you are yet to.
Table of Contents
What is Roku?
Roku is a device that allows you to stream movies, TV shows, and varieties of online video content. Roku is a popular media player and a great alternative to the Amazon FireStick. Roku is owned by Roku Inc, a US-based company.
A Roku device lets you watch free and premium content straight from your TV via an internet connection. There are various versions of Roku devices, including Roku Express, Roku Ultra, Roku Premiere, Roku Premiere Plus, Roku Streaming Stick, Roku Streaming Stick Plus, Roku Smart TV, and many others.
Do I Need a VPN for Roku?
If you own a Roku streaming device, chances are that you may have considered using a VPN. Although Roku is a great streaming platform, it has limited streaming options and features as compared to FireStick.
The company behind Roku is domiciled in the United States and is licensed to show content that is available in the U.S. Consequently, Roku users outside the U.S. will find it difficult to stream premium TV content.
Streaming services, websites, and platforms refuse to grant users access to stream content based on their region. If you are streaming somewhere in Africa, or South America, or outside countries like France, the United States, the United Kingdom, Ireland, etc, you will experience geo-blocks.
The Roku servers monitor every Roku device, and if you aren’t streaming from the United States, the system will pick up your IP address and block you from streaming US channels and content. This challenge justifies your considering using a VPN on your Roku device.
Even if you are based in the United States, you may want to take your Roku device with you when you travel or vacation. If you travel abroad or away from home, you won’t be able to stream and keep up with the happenings in the United States. But if you use a VPN, you can bypass the geo-restrictions.
Moreover, a VPN is highly recommended for any online activity, especially online streaming. If you don’t want your streaming activity tracked or monitored by anyone who wants to fix ISP throttling, I highly recommend using a VPN.
How Can a VPN Improve My Streaming Experience on Roku?
Using a VPN assures you of an immersive and worthwhile viewing experience on any streaming device. VPN is a short term for ‘Virtual Private Network‘.
The benefits of a VPN are enormous; it encrypts your web activity and keeps your online activity private and hidden. It has been reported that ISPs spy on the internet traffic of their users. Using a VPN helps you use the internet anonymously, and no one will monitor or see what you are doing on the internet.
These days, people are getting cautious about their use of the internet. Many people have lost sensitive information and data, such as personal information, bank information, and credit card details to the hands of cybercriminals, fraudsters, and hackers because they use an unprotected internet connection. Using a VPN will help you stream securely and use the internet safely.
Some people wish to stream content in certain regions but can’t due to geo-restrictions. Geo-restrictions allow internet users in certain regions to access content and prevent people outside those regions from accessing or consuming the content.
These geo-restrictive systems use the Internet Protocol (IP) address assigned to Internet devices to identify where the service is located or browsing from. Every internet device, including mobile phones, FireStick devices, Wi-Fi, PCs, Mac, etc., has an IP address showing the device’s location.
Once the system analyzes the device’s IP address and sees that its location doesn’t match that of acceptable regions, it automatically restricts the device from viewing or consuming the content on that platform.
Roku offers streaming services, such as Netflix, HBO Max, and Hulu, all of which have geo-restrictions. Hence, only internet users with a US IP address can stream content on these platforms.
Unfortunately, if you don’t have a US IP address, your IP and device will be blocked and prevented from streaming content on these platforms. Luckily for you, you can get a US IP address by using ExpressVPN.
ExpressVPN has a network of several US-based servers, which you can connect to and stream US content and channels on Roku. In addition to that, ExpressVPN provides several security measures and encryption protocols to protect your online privacy.
Which VPN is the Best for Roku?
ExpressVPN is an excellent VPN service for Roku devices. One of the impressive features of this provider is that it features a Smart DNS proxy and is compatible with Roku.
The Smart DNS feature removes the geo-blocks placed by the Roku developers and helps users stream content without restrictions. Furthermore, ExpressVPN has over 3,000+ servers in more than 60 locations across 94+ countries worldwide.
These features help remove geo-restrictions and access content in any region of the world. When you connect to an ExpressVPN US server, your real IP address is hidden, and the Roku servers are tricked into believing you are streaming or using the device from the United States. This way, you will access popular US channels and TV content.
ExpressVPN is one of the most affordable VPN services to use. When you subscribe to ExpressVPN, your connection isn’t tied to your Roku streaming device alone. ExpressVPN gives you five connections per subscription, which allows you to use the VPN service on four other devices.
However, configuring this VPN service on a router allows for unlimited simultaneous connections. ExpressVPN’s servers are incredibly fast for streaming; it offers 24/7 live chat support service, AES encryption, MediaStreamer, and a host of other advanced features.
ExpressVPN is one of the best in the industry, and it effectively unblocks content on streaming services. We’ve tested ExpressVPN on several platforms and used it to unblock Netflix libraries from Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, France, Australia, and the United States of America.
How To Setup ExpressVPN on Roku
Like other VPN apps, installing ExpressVPN on Roku is complicated because the Roku OS doesn’t support the direct installation of VPN apps. While installing a VPN on FireStick is easy, the same can’t be said for Roku devices.
So, to use ExpressVPN on Roku, you must either set up the VPN via a physical router or set up a virtual router using your Mac or Windows PC. You don’t need any technical knowledge to do this because I will show you different methods to set up ExpressVPN on your Roku device.
Since we will use ExpressVPN for this tutorial, you must have an active ExpressVPN subscription. If you don’t have a subscription plan, grab this mouthwatering offer on the 12-month plan (49% OFF), which gives you three months free. That’s 15 months of unrestricted, secure streaming activity.
If you want to stream content in the U.S., you must ensure the location of your Roku account is set to the United States.
How To Change Your Roku Location to the U.S
If you are trying to open a Roku US account or have it in the U.S region, follow the instructions below:
- Step 1:Visithttps://my.roku.com/index.
- Step 2:Click on‘Create account’.
- Step 3:Enter your details in their respective fields.
- Step 4:Click on Continue.
- Step 5:Enter any of these options and click Continue.
a) Always require a PIN to initiate purchases and to add any item from the Channel Store.
b) Always require a PIN to make purchases.
c) A PIN is not required to make any purchase or add any item from the Channel Store.
- Step 6:Select a payment method (Credit Card or PayPal). PayPal is a popular and convenient way of making online transactions. If you selected Paypal, click the Continue to Paypalbutton.
- Step 7:You will be redirected to a page where you will enter your PayPal credentials. Once you enter your PayPal username and password, click on Log in.
- Step 8:Enter a valid U.S. address. You can do a Google search for US addresses and zip codes. Once you find a US address, your account creation is done.
- Step 9:After creating your U.S Roku account, go to your Roku Settingsand factory reset the device.
Now that you’ve set up your American Roku account, you are a step away from streaming U.S content on Roku.
Method 1: How To Set Up ExpressVPN on Roku Device via Physical Router
You can use ExpressVPN on a Roku device by configuring it on a physical router. This method is technical because it requires some expertise in dealing with routers.
ExpressVPN is compatible with several router models, but do your research and due diligence before installing ExpressVPN on it. That said, follow the steps below to install ExpressVPN on your router:
- Step 1: Get an ExpressVPN subscription.
- Step 2:You can install ExpressVPN on your router based on the model and the protocol. You can contact ExpressVPN customer support for help, as they have router installation guides for their users.
- Step 3:Turn on your Roku device.
- Step 4: Navigate to Settings.
- Step 5:Go to Network.
- Step 6: Select Setup Connection. You will see your Roku IP address in this field.
- Step 7:Click on Wireless.
- Step 8:Identify your Wi-Fi network from the list of available Wi-Fi networks and click on it.
- Step 9:Enter your Wi-Fi password.
- Step 10:If you type the correct password, the status will change to ‘Connected‘.
Now that you’ve successfully installed ExpressVPN on your router, you can stream any content on your Roku device.
Method 2: How To Install ExpressVPN on Roku via Virtual Router Connection
If you don’t have a physical router, you can still set up ExpressVPN on Roku by sharing a hotspot connection from a virtual router.
As mentioned, Roku doesn’t provide dedicated support for ExpressVPN or any VPN provider, so you must connect your Roku device to a VPN-enabled macOS or Windows computer. Doing this will allow your Roku device to unblock streaming channels and enjoy all the features and benefits ExpressVPN offers.
How To Configure ExpressVPN on Virtual Router Via Mac
It is crucial to inform you that creating an ExpressVPN-enabled hotspot connection on a Mac computer is a painstaking process, so ensure you take your time and follow the instructions step by step.
You must start this process by first disabling the Wi-Fi feature and then plugging a LAN cable into your macOS computer. After doing this, follow these steps:
- Step 1:Click the Apple logo located in the top left corner.
- Step 2:Select System Preferences.
- Step 3:Click on Network Preferences.
- Step 4:Click the plus (+) icon. Clicking the plus icon will add a new interface.
- Step 5:Choose a VPN for the interface type.
- Step 6:Change the VPN Type to ‘L2TP over IPSec‘ and rename it to ExpressVPN Hotspotor any name of your choice.
- Step 7:Enter the server address of the ExpressVPN you are using. You can find the server address on the ExpressVPN website. Click the Setupbutton and select Manual Configuration. Next, select PPTP & L2TP/IPSec.
- Step 8:Enter a usernamein the Account Name field.
- Step 9:Click on Authentication Settings.
- Step 10:Under the User Authentication option, enter the password you received in Step 7 above.
- Step 11:Type in 12345678in the Shared Secretfield and click OK.
- Step 12:Click on Advanced.
- Step 13:Mark the option to “Send all traffic over VPN connection” and hit the OKbutton.
- Step 14:Click Connect.
- Step 15:Then, wait until the status changes to connected.
- Step 16:When connected, click the back left arrow key to return to System Preferences.
- Step 17:Click the Sharingicon.
- Step 18:Click on Internet Sharingfrom the left menu.
- Step 19:When you get to the Internet Sharing menu, change the settings using the details below:
A) Share your VPN connection from the L2TP/IPSec VPN connectionyou established earlier.
B) Checkmark the Wi-Fibox.
C) Click the WiFi-Option.
Now, enter the information below
Network Name:Enter any name you wish to use.
Channel:Leave the default setting.
Security:Choose WPA2 Personal.
Password:Enter a password
- Step 20:Click OK.
- Step 21:Go to the Sharingmenu.
- Step 22:Checkmark the box next to Internet Sharing.
- Step 23:Click Startwhen prompted to enable internet sharing.
How To Configure ExpressVPN on Virtual Router via Microsoft Windows
Unlike the Mac method, creating a virtual router to install ExpressVPN on Windows is easy. The installation process can be finished in three minutes.
Below are the instructions:
- Step 1:Download the ExpressVPN Windows app.
- Step 2:Install the application.
- Step 3:Go to your taskbar and select the internet connection icon.
- Step 4:Open Network & Internet Settings.
- Step 5:Click on Mobile Hotspoton the left menu,
- Step 6:Click the toggle to turn on the “Share my Internet connection with other devices” feature.
- Step 7:Click Statusfrom the options in the left-side menu.
- Step 8:Click Change Adapter Options.
- Step 9:Right-click the ExpressVPN Tap Adapter.
- Step 10:Select Properties.
- Step 11:Tick the “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection” on the Sharing tab.
- Step 12:Select the hotspot connection you just created from the drop-down options and click OK.
That’s how you create a VPN-enabled virtual hotspot connection using your Microsoft Windows computer. Now that you’ve established a virtual hotspot connection on ExpressVPN’s servers, you can connect your Roku device.
Follow the instructions below to connect your Roku device to your VPN-enabled virtual router:
- Launch your Windows ExpressVPN app.
- Connect to a U.S server.
- Click on Setup Connection.
- Select Wireless.
- Select your newly created hotspot connection from the list of Wi-Fi networks available.
- Enter your Wi-Fi password and connect.
Voila! That’s how you install and use ExpressVPN on your Roku device.
How To Cast From Your Device To Roku
One of the notable features Roku has is that it allows you to cast content from your Android device to your Roku device. You can use this feature to watch content on Hulu, HBO Max, Netflix, and other streaming apps on Roku.
Keep in mind that this feature doesn’t work on all Android devices. Follow the steps below to cast movies or TV content from Android to Roku:
- Unlock your Android device and open the ExpressVPN application.
- Click the location pickerand choose your location (preferably the U.S).
- Open any VoD streaming app like Netflix, for instance, on your Android device.
- Choose any movie or TV show you want to cast on Roku.
- Bring down the control center and navigate to Quick Settings.
- Tap on Screen Cast.
- As soon as you click Screen Cast, your device screen will mirror onto your Roku device.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is ExpressVPN Compatible on Roku?
ExpressVPN is compatible with several devices, including Roku. You get access to all ExpressVPN’s features after installing it on Roku.
Does ExpressVPN Work on Roku?
ExpressVPN work on Roku. While there’s no way to install ExpressVPN directly on Roku, you can configure it on Roku using a physical or virtual router. In this guide, we discussed different methods of installing ExpressVPN on Roku.
How Can I Use ExpressVPN on Roku
Once you have setup ExpressVPN on your Roku device, install Netflix or the streaming service you want to watch. Then, enter your credentials and start streaming.
Is ExpressVPN Safe?
ExpressVPN is completely safe, and it doesn’t harm your device in any way. Rather, ExpressVPN masks your IP address, encrypts your internet connection, and secures your online activity. Moreover, it safeguards your internet activity from the government, hackers, and your ISP.
Is ExpressVPN Legal?
There is no crime in using ExpressVPN as long as you use it for the right purpose. Using a VPN to hack a company or government website doesn’t make it legal.
ExpressVPN is legal to use in most countries, including the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada, and the British Virgin Islands. ExpressVPN has users in many countries, and you can use it if your country doesn’t have strict internet laws.
It is possible to install a VPN on Roku even though the Roku OS doesn’t support VPNs. This post showed you the methods to install ExpressVPN on your router. Depending on your preferences, you can set up ExpressVPN on your Roku device using a virtual or physical router.
ExpressVPN is a top VPN provider and should be on your wish list if you are looking for a VPN for streaming. However, if you want to use something different, consider reading this guide on the best VPNs for Roku.
If you are based outside the United States, using a VPN service like ExpressVPN on Roku will unblock several benefits and possibilities and cause you to stream without facing any geo-blocks.
We’ve listed posts showing you how to install other VPN apps on Roku below:
- How to Install IPVanish on Roku
- How to Install PureVPN on Roku
- Does Atlas VPN Work With Roku? How To Install Atlas VPN On…
- How to Install Surfshark on Roku
- How to Install CyberGhost on Roku
- How to Install AtlasVPN on FireStick
- Best USTVGO Alternatives For Online Streaming
- How to Install CyberGhost on FireStick
- Why Does Hulu Keep Buffering on My TV? 10 Reasons